Friday, February 11, 2011

banking the fire and strange lights in the sky...

So.... it's very cold outside right now (-10 F) but luckily the wind isn't blowing.

I kept the fire going all day yesterday and it kept the downstairs nice and toasty... I like to use wood to help heat the house when it's very cold. (Yes, I could just use our hot water heat only, but paying the gas bill when it came might involve selling one of the children or the car! ;)) I was worried about getting the fire going again today though. When it's VERY cold, it can be hard to get the fireplace to draw... The chimney is a tall one, and the cold air rushes down it faster than the fire can warm the air and get it drawing well. The result, of course, is a house full of smoke!

So... knowing today was supposed to even colder than yesterday... I banked the fire last night before I went to bed, hoping I could get it drawing this morning.

I was amazed at how well it worked. Just a simple thing like banking the coals made all the difference in the world. The fireplace was still warm this morning, and all I needed to do was uncover the hot coals, put a couple of pinecones on top of them and blow on them for a minute to get the fire going again.

As I looked out the kitchen window this morning I saw the strangest thing...

It seems to be a tiny bit of a rainbow...

It's been in the sky for half an hour or so...

`

Very strange...

`

No comments: