Wednesday, February 9, 2011

*~*daybook*~*

simple-woman-daybook-small
FOR TODAY

February 9, 2009

Outside my window... it's still dark outside... it's very cold and a foot or so of snow is blanketing the ground, leaving everything muffled and snow-softened, and... once the sun comes up... dazzlingly white.

I am thinking... about what we are going to do today. I thought we had an appointment with M's orthopedist, but discovered last night when I was checking the appointment time, that the appointment had really been yesterday... and I'd missed it. We couldn't have gotten there anyway, because of all the snow that piled up on us yesterday (there is no way my car could have made it up the driveway) but still... we'd waited a long time for that appointment. Staying home today might be a hard transition for M... and I'm disappointed too, I really wanted to get him in... he's starting to have pain in his "good" hip (the one that wasn't fixed last year because it seemed to be doing fine) and I'm worried what that might mean in terms of his activity level, etc.

I am thankful for... the wonderful visit we had with B (dd#2) who spent almost a week here on her way relocating from KS, MO to Boston for her job. It was so good to spend time with her, and I'm glad she was able to spend time with her sisters while she was here. She flies out this morning... I hope she loves Boston (but not so much that she doesn't move back to Denver one of these days!)

From the learning rooms... All these cold snowy days make it easy to get a lot done in school. We're not tempted by the sunshine to spend the afternoon outside... working or playing.  The classroom is cold, so we bring all the school books downstairs and do school by the fire. Unfortunately, M has been having trouble thinking lately, it's like he's just not able to process at anything close to a normal (for him) speed, and isn't able to make connections between bits of information (connecting today's lesson to what we learned yesterday) connecting and breaking down his math, seeing the basic functions he needs to use to get the answer, and drawing upon skills he's already learned. His brain seems to be dozing, even though his body is awake... which probably doesn't make sense. We're pushing through school, but it's not easy. Hopefully things will start to turn around soon.

From the kitchen... snow and cold makes me want to cook. Last night I tried a new recipe from one of the Gooseberry Press cookbooks... Sour Cream Enchiladas. Mmmm... they were good!

I am creating... I'm back to creating order. After taking a couple of weeks off from my compulsive cleaning and organizing, I'm back at it. M's room is my newest target and I've already taken two big loads down to Goodwill.  His room looks awesome... if I do say so myself. ;)

I am going... to call TCH and see what I can do about rescheduling M's orthopedist appointment. If I have to wait another month for an appointment, I might ask about pediatric orthopedists in private practice. Maybe I could get into someone else quicker, and even if it's not a permanent change it would be good to have a second opinion.

I am reading... a couple of wonderful books New York (great historical fiction) and One Thousand Gifts : Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are (possibly my new favorite book).

I am hoping... the sun comes out today. It snowed all day yesterday, and it was beautiful... but I miss the sun.

I am hearing... Emma's (our Golden Retriever) breathing and restless stirring while she sleeps.

Around the house... we're still waiting for the estimate to finish the basement. I'm not sure what the hold up is. I'm thinking the guy (neighbor/contractor) who came to look at it and give the estimate, might be too busy right now for a small job like this. It might be time to either shelve the project for now, or start looking for someone else to do the work.

One of my favorite things... sitting by the fire on a cold snowy day (which just happens to be what I'm doing right now!).

A few plans for the rest of the week... try to get the car up the driveway (Joe's plowed...should be do-able), and start digging out... I especially need to shovel a trail to the barn, the drifts between the house and the barn are deep.  Tomorrow is R's orthodontist appointment, and Friday we are getting together with friends.

A picture I'm sharing... winter sun through the clouds




Visit Peggy's blog for more about The Simple Woman's Daybook

No comments: