Thursday, May 5, 2011

Making memories

Prom 2011

Saturday night was prom night for M and his girlfriend (like our youngest, her name also starts with R, so to avoid confusion, I'm just going to call her "M's girl"), it was her school's junior/senior prom and they went with a group of kids including M's girl's brother and his date, and a few other friends.

Because of the kid's needs we couldn't just send them off completely alone, so a few of us moms tagged along... following the limo through the streets of Denver, from M's girl's house, to the restaurant, to prom, and finally to the after-prom get together at the high school. The kids didn't mind us tagging along and while they didn't need us to supervise (they all did an outstanding job... so grown up and responsible) they did need us for more hand's on kinds of things... for example, M had an episode of oculargyration at the restaurant and needed medication for it, and they needed a bit of help sorting out the dinner check and getting it paid.

But anyway... here is the evening... in pictures. :)

`



`



`

The next one is a little blurry... but I'm posting it anyway because I love the looks on their faces as they smile at each other.



`



`

One of the other moms took a picture of M and I together. I think it turned out pretty good... although when  I look at it I'm amazed with how grown up he looks. My little boy isn't a little boy any more...



`

The kids in front of the limo... (freezing... there was snow in the air!)


`

... and finding out this was the last picture and it was time to leave for dinner!



`



`


`


Following the limo.... my job for the evening.



`


I didn't take very many pictures of the kids at the restaurant or prom... They were all fine with us moms being there, in fact they wanted us there, but I tried to stay as far in the background as possible.


Here's one at the restaurant...




`

.. and a couple at prom.

`


`


`

It was an amazing, magical (if long!) evening and I was so proud of M. He was calm, responsible, considerate and did a great job remembering to put his girl's needs and wants before his own.  Watching him and seeing how he well he handled himself in such an unfamiliar environment, with LOTS of people he doesn't know,  reinforced for me the value of all these years of homeschooling... and gave me a bit of hope for his future. (R would have loved to tag along too, but is just a bit too young... so she very happily spent the night at her oldest sister's house.)


No comments: