Sunday, February 24, 2013

Spring (doll) House Cleaning

The weather here is trying to work itself into a blizzard, so we are stuck inside looking for things to do...



While I was cleaning in the bedroom I noticed the the house really needed dusting... not the real house, the doll house. It was looking seriously dusty (living on a dirt road does that!) so I decided it was time to do some spring dollhouse cleaning. As I cleaned each piece I was reminded how wonderful they are...

I'm guessing the dollhouse and furnishings are probably about 70 years old. They belonged to an older neighbor of ours, from the old neighborhood, back when she was a little girl.  I'm guessing they date from the 30's or maybe 40's. When K (dd#3) was about 7-8 years old she saw it and fell in love with it, and the neighbor kindly gave her some work to do for her so she could earn it. It's still K's... but lives with me.

The furniture is plastic, and has some amazing details...



..like a record player



... sewing machine that flips open...



... just like a real one....



... and I love the toilet (both the lid and toilet seat open)..





... and the washer! (No dryer, this tiny family must have a clothes line out back somewhere.)



I only have a few old doll house people...this baby is my favorite.





Here's the entire house:





...the kitchen and dining room (check out the tiny plates on the shelves!)...





...nursery and living room...



... the bathroom and master bedroom...



It's all cleaned and beautiful again! Too bad cleaning my real house isn't as quick and easy...

Granny, any idea how old this might be?

No comments: