Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thrifting Thursday

I am a hard-core thrift shopper... rarely buying anything new, and liking nothing better than reusing, remaking, or repurposing something that would otherwise be thrown away.

Just for fun, I thought I'd try to post a thrifting "update" every week or so... thrifting Thursday. :)

I'll start with this gorgeous cutting board... I paid $1. for it. I needed a new one (mine warped!) and although this one was stained, greasy (yuck!), and most of one side was black with scorch, I could tell by the look and weight of it that it was good wood. Joe sanded it down (the scorch sanded out completely), gave it a good coating of butcher block oil, and now it's beautiful (and flat!).



See the red metal piece holding it? It's a cast iron napkin holder I found for $3. at Goodwill. I didn't do anything to it, just cleaned it up. I didn't need it for a napkin holder, but I did need something heavy enough to hold up my cutting boards. It works perfectly... I do love cast iron.





Here's my best "find" recently... some vintage Fisher Price. I found the barn (with most of the animals...) and the school house with the school bus and many of the accessories for $10.



I didn't take a picture of the school house or bus, I'm not going to keep them, I'll probably list them on ebay... I really wanted the barn and the accessories (and the school house came with),  but don't need another larger item like the school house sitting around.



And since we are talking about thrifting, the stool the barn is sitting on was a thrift store find from a month ago or so. It was $4. and r-o-u-g-h. It looked like it had been kept outside, the wood was weathered and rough, and the finish was just about worn off. I gave it a good sanding, stained and poly-ed it, and it's beautiful. I knew it was oak, so knew it was good wood, but I was still surprised at how nicely the wood cleaned up.



Well, that's all for now...

Happy Thrifting!

No comments: