Thursday, March 14, 2013

~spring in the back pasture~

After three snowstorms (two blizzards) in two weeks, yesterday was a joy. Warm, sunny... a taste of spring amidst all the wind and snow we've had.

Like my new blizzard created hood design? I think it's an improvement... too bad it melted away.



Yesterday was such a beautiful day, I just couldn't stay inside... so I decided to take my camera for a walk around the back pasture, looking for some little hints of spring peaking through the melting snow...

A tiny stream of water snaking it's way across the little pasture, then under the snow...



....where it will quietly continue it's journey to the pond.

I do love our little pond... watching it change through the seasons. Yesterday it's glassy surface, newly freed from ice, reflected both the lingering scraps of snow and the blue spring sky.



A brilliant feather... just one (thank goodness, not a whole little carcass!) so bright against the winter brown grass. I picked it up and brought it home...



A meandering trickle of water making it's way through the gully...



... bringing the promise of a pasture full of green grass.

The thicket in the far back corner of the pasture, sculpted by wind, with our barn standing proud in the background...



... and the same thicket, from another angle, alive with a raucous party of blackbirds who, despite my quiet bird-stalking, managed to stay just one step ahead of my camera...  although I did catch a few of them here (if you look very close...)



The picked-clean remains of a deer not strong, quick, or lucky enough to make it through the cold winter one step ahead of the coyotes...





... and a lovely, muddy, trail made by all the ones who did make it through:



`





And finally on my way back to the house, by the still snow covered north side of the barn, a few hardly blades of grass, sharing my eagerness for spring, creating nearly perfect circles as they make their way to the sun.





No comments: