Wednesday, June 5, 2013

a handrail's tale

As long as we are talking about wood... I'll share a little more of the updating/upgrading I've been working on this spring.

As I was going room to room and repainting all the shiny brass doorknobs and hardware with the ORB spray paint,  I couldn't help but wonder what I would do with the shiny brass brackets holding up each of the handrails on our (many) stairs.

The handrails themselves (there are three of them) had also seen better days... they are 40 years old and looked every minute of it... so I took a couple of days and gave all the handrails and brackets an quick makeover.

I stripped each handrail, and gave it a quick sanding... Then I stained them, using a mix of minwax "ipswich pine" and "jacobean" stain colors. (The pine stain alone was too light, but I didn't want to go too dark either.) Finally I gave them several coats of poly and hung them back up using new, oil rubbed bronze brackets. I decided not to paint the shiny brackets, as I had the brass door hardware, since new ones were very inexpensive and I knew I could recycle the old ones.

Here's the before:



And the after:



Not a big change, but I do like the darker wood tone and getting rid of a little more shiny brass is always a good thing!

No comments: