Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Not sure how I feel about this...

Back in the "old days" (1995-2006) I spent a lot of time working in the FASD (Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders) community... organizing and facilitating support groups for families, traveling around the state training foster and adoptive parents and social services caseworkers about FASD, going into schools to train teachers, and doing educational advocacy for individual students impacted by FASD.

I truly loved what I was doing, but this work was also driven by my need learn as much as I could about my own kid's disabilities, and by my love for them (both M and R have FASD, S has it as well). But then M was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2001 and the medications just weren't stabilizing him, so finally in 2006 I "retired" from the work I was doing and settled into a simple and happy life as full time homemaker/caregiver/handyman/financial planner and Queen of the Barn.

M's older now and is more stable (I've heard the first 10 years of schizophrenia are the hardest, that certainly was true for us!) and I was recently asked to facilitate and help grow a support group that is starting up in SE Denver. It's a bit of a drive for me, but I'm closer than anyone else who could do it.

After thinking about it for awhile, I said yes... I'd commit to facilitating the next three meetings.

I'm not sure how I feel about this...

On one hand it will be good to dabble a little in an area that I have some expertise and feel so passionately about...

On the other hand a simple life as Queen of the Barn is very nice...

I like simple, it works for me.

Hmm... I guess time will tell if this was a good decision or not.

My adoring "subjects" Murphy and Tucker...

No comments: