Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The grass is always greener

...when it's not mostly dirt.



As in the dirt that was my back yard when we bought this house. And the dirt that I've worked for 8 years (and counting) to cover with grass.

Here's a picture of part of the back yard the year we bought the house. I'm guessing it's an understatement to say it wasn't much to look at...



Over the years I've seeded, fertilized, had a sprinkler system installed, mulched, fertilized some more, seeded some more... and amazingly enough, most of the yard is now covered with lovely, soft grass.

Here's the same view this year... (yes, this house was a serious fixer-upper, more before and after pics here if you're curious)





The grass looks pretty good (if you don't look too closely at all the weeds mixed in) except for a large area right at the bottom of the back porch steps that, until yesterday, was still dirt... it refused to grow grass. I've seeded that area, and the seed grew during the summer I planted it... but didn't come back the following spring. I watered... the grass never spread there. I thought about putting stone in that spot, but I really wanted grass.

So I picked up a few rolls of sod over the weekend, and laid them yesterday morning. It was the perfect morning for sod... it had just rained and it was still cool and cloudy... perfect sod laying weather.

I dug out all the weeds and turned the dirt in the area the sod would cover, removing a LOT of dirt so the sod wouldn't stick up too high...



Then I laid the sod, stomped it down a little and cut around the sprinkler head that needs to be able to pop up. The last thing I did was give it all a good soaking...



I love how much better it looks... I hope it grows...



I really, really hope it grows.



But if it doesn't, I'll admit defeat and fill the area with stone.

No comments: