Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Oh yeah, this is more like it...

This is what my barn should be looking like in late summer...



`

Stacked full of sweet smelling, fresh, clean hay.

`



`

The hay guys showed up on time Friday, and were a lot younger than I expected (probably not much older than M!), and the only hitch in the delivery was that the guy driving was not able to get the big trailer backed into the barn, or even very close to the barn. This was not for lack of trying... he tried for almost an hour to get backed up to that barn. But he just wasn't quite as good maneuvering that big trailer around the pasture as some of the other guys who have delivered hay for us. Not backing it into the barn was kind of a relief for me though, since our barn is just barely big enough for a load of hay to fit... there ends up only being about a foot clearance on either side of the trailer. So you have to be very good at backing... and this guy wasn't... so it's just as well he wasn't able to take it all the way into the barn. Unfortunately, that meant they had to haul the hay from the trailer into the barn, and up into the hay loft... a lot more work for them. :(

This was as close to the barn as he was able to get...



`

The hay is wonderful, fresh, good color, clean...

`





...and the price was good. I'm counting my blessings for having a barn full of such good hay.



I ended up buying more than I originally planned on. I think I have at least 8 tons (I bought 200 bales at 80-90 lbs each, so have 16,000 to 18,000 lbs which is 8-9 tons) , and I only needed 7 tons... but having extra is ok... I can share with the neighbor if she runs out in the spring, or just buy a little less next year.

So... hay buying is FINALLY checked off the list of summer things to do, hallelujah!

The last of the big barn work that needs to be done this summer is calling someone to haul away the manure pile. Once it's gone, we're ready for Fall and colder weather...

Bring it on...



No comments: