Friday, August 16, 2013

play kitchen re-do

About a year ago I was at a yard sale and saw a small wooden play kitchen for sale. It was a little rough... it looked like it had been stored in a barn, the "sink" was a plastic dog bowl, and the counter top was in dire need of replacing. It had good bones though... it was made of real wood with honest-to-goodness construction rather than particle board stapled together, so I decided to buy it to fix up for my youngest granddaughter. I drug it home, put it in the storeroom, and there it sat for month after month (after month after month!), until finally, a few weeks ago, I decided I either needed to fix it up and give it to my granddaughter, or get rid of it.

I still thought it had possibilities, so I hauled it up to my "workshop" (aka the dining room) and got to work.

I'm terrible at remembering to take before pictures, but I did this time... I remember... but it's been so long ago now that I can't find them.  (oops!) So, unfortunately, the only before pictures are these of the drawers and door fronts taken apart and waiting for sanding. Two thirds of the kitchen was stained dark, the other third (the "stove") was painted kind of a bluish white.



`



I started by giving everything a light sanding, then a coat of primer, and another of white paint.  Next I added trim pieces along each bottom edge to hide the places where the plywood had been splintered away by dragging it along the floor, and I decided to add another piece of the same wood (extra slats from some wide wooden blinds) along the top of the stove area to give it some definition.



`

New molding pieces on and painted! I found a nice piece of wood at Home Depot that was big enough for both the counter top and the stove top.  Here is the newly cut and sanded stove top sitting in place, and the new stove knobs (found at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore for .10 each) on top waiting to be put on.



`



`

I bought new knobs and hinges for the little kitchen (also at Home Depot) and made "burners" for the stove out of wood rounds topped by wooden swirls (from Michael's) and craft paint.



`

I love how the counter top turned out. Joe's brother routered out the hole for the "sink" (a metal bowl from Goodwill) and it was easy to drill a few holes for the faucet (another ReStore find).



`

I thought I was done with the counter top at this point, and ready to put the last two doors back on and call the project finished...





`

... but at the last minute I decided to add a back splash from some of the leftover wood. So I took the counter back off the cabinet and added a back splash.



`

A little glue, clamps and a few screws and the back splash was done.  I put the counter top back on again, touched up the paint, put the last of the doors back on...



`

... and delivered it to my youngest grandchild.




`

It was such a fun project... I hope she enjoys it for a long time.

`



`

No comments: