Wednesday, September 11, 2013

And speaking of old things....

... with little or no monetary value.

Back when we picked up our shed, I saw that the guy we'd bought it from had a large old wooden ladder laying in his trash pile. It wasn't broken, just a little old and rickety... It was too good to just throw away, so I rescued itasked for it and brought it home. (Actually, I snuck it home... hiding it on the trailer under some large shed pieces... Joe didn't know we had it until we started to unload. ;)

Once it came off the trailer, I had no idea what to do with it. So it laid out by the driveway all summer... while I pondered over it and wondered why I'd brought it home.... and what I could use it for.

That's it in the foreground, the ladder close to the shed is our good, usable, 10' ladder... sadly, the wooden one is too rickety to use.



`

E has a great old ladder in her living room (found in their barn when they moved in) that holds a couple of warm throws for cool evenings. So I knew my old ladder could still be useful... but E's ladder is normal sized... the one I brought home is 10' tall. It's hard to find uses for something that TALL...

I finally decided I needed to bring it up on the porch, out of the rain... so the wood wouldn't rot away to nothing while I was trying to decide what to do with it. I moved it up the porch steps, but found that it was too tall to stand up on the front porch except in the highest corners up close to the house. I  moved the pile of mud boots and stood it up in the only open corner that was tall enough (because laying down it took up the whole porch!)... and then inspiration hit... and I started loading it up with mud boots (and a grapevine pumpkin I impulsively picked up at a thrift store the other day :) ).

`



`

Turns out that good-for-nothing-too-big-too-rickety ladder makes a perfect mud boot holder on the front porch! I did end up sawing a few inches off the bottom to shorten it so it could be moved away from the front door a little... and, at some point, I'll attach it up top to the porch header with a couple of screws... just to make sure a winter storm doesn't doesn't blow it over.

`



`

Awesome... mudboots are no longer laying in a huge pile on the front porch, and the big ladder has found a use... I love win-win kinds of situations!

`

No comments: