Friday, September 6, 2013

partners in crime

Meet the Will-Stop-At-Nothing-For-Grass Gang:



`

Their ringleader... Murphy Malone (aka the Mooch):



`

The sidekick, Tucker "the Tank" (motto: "Whatever you say, Boss."):



`

The scene of the crime... the pasture fence. (Yes, it's true... they always return to the scene of the crime!)



`

The loot: the green grass on the other side of said fence.





Yes... Murphy has bent and mangled my new (as of last summer) pasture fence (while Tucker stood by watching, wishing he could share in the "loot"!)



`

It's not entirely Murphy's fault... the guys who built the fence didn't use the quality of materials they should have... specifically, they used aluminum ties, rather than steel... It's nothing for a 1,200 lb horse to break or bend an aluminum tie. Murphy probably didn't even notice it was there. And they didn't properly stretch the top wire. I should have caught these problems, but I'm no expert when it comes to fence building... so I (initially) trusted they knew what they were doing and would do a good job.   (Well, I did catch the fact that they didn't stretch the top wire, but by that time I was about half afraid of them... all their top front teeth were rotted away, something Joe said was from meth abuse... so I didn't say anything, I just wanted them gone!)



`

And Murphy was hungry... it took forever to get a load of good hay this year, and my boys were eating old dirty hay while we waited for the good stuff.



`

So I'm fencing this week... Taking apart the top of the fence, restretching the wire, attaching to the wood posts with giant brads and to the T-posts with STEEL ties. Then straightening out the horse fencing that runs beneath it and securing them together with yet more STEEL ties.

I've learned to use this awesome wire stretcher that I bought the other day...



And these fencing pliers have become my best friend.





`

Wire stretcher in place...



`

Before the stretch:



`

After, nice and tight:



`

Once the top wire is restretched I can go back through and straighten out the horse fencing beneath it, then tie it all together with good strong wire.

I'm almost done.... I've gotten all but the section of fence behind the barn done. I started out v-e-r-y slow... but as I've figured out better ways of doing things it's gotten quicker... and having the right tools makes all the difference... I couldn't have done it without the stretcher and fencing pliers.

Ah... much better... the Will-Stop-At-Nothing-For-Grass Gang is thwarted once again. :)

No comments: