Wednesday, October 30, 2013

You are the book I did not write...

This post has been rattling around in my head for months... but I'm not sure if I can write it out in a way that makes sense...

I'll try.

Yesterday, I was thinking how incredibly blessed I am to be part of my children's lives. To share their ups and downs... to learn from them about places, people and events I wouldn't know about otherwise... and to just be a part of their world.

And I thought of this poem that E (dd#1) sent me when K (dd#3) left for the Peace Corps last February. E sent me the first verse or two, and in researching who the author was I found the last verse. The author is Anne Campbell and I especially love the first two verses... (The last verse doesn't touch me in the way the first ones do.)

Here it is...





I have learned so much from my children, experienced so many things I wouldn't have otherwise... from traveling vicariously along with the older three on their wanderings here and there, to understanding the brain in a totally different way thanks to M's schizophrenia, and being part of, even though it's second hand through R (dd#4), the experience of  growing up Black in a primarily White society.

So while I've never had the money to travel much (and M's schizophrenia keeps us close to home anyway) and my jewelry box is filled with costume and homemade jewelry, and baby teeth collected by the tooth fairly (am I the only one who can't bear to throw them away?)... my life is immeasureably rich, even though (I'm sad to say) I sometimes get so caught up in the day to day minutiae of life that I don't fully see it.

Yesterday however, was a day I saw it clearly... and I couldn't help but record it, and the poem, here.

But enough rambling... we have a busy day today... a doctor's appointment for R, maybe helping E with some running around she needs to do, and the RCC book club and a zumba class downtown (these last two are scheduled for exactly the same time, different locations... so unless R is willing to give up zumba, the kids are going to have to split up!) Oh, and I'm going to try to take a nice picture of the house... our trees are gorgeous right now and I'm hoping to get a really good picture before all those brilliant leaves fall to the ground. ;)

No comments: