Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Giving thanks...

Happy Thanksgiving!

This is mostly a picture post, I thought our daughter K (dd#3), who is in the Peace Corps, would like to see some Thanksgiving photos since she isn't able to be home this year...

Where to start? So many years, so many Thanksgivings... so much to be thankful for.

I'll start with an old Thanksgiving photo I found on my computer....  That's me, holding B (dd#2, now 29) with my mom, who passed away 10 years ago (and I still miss every day) and my brother Loren (looking SO young... but I guess I did too). I think this was taken the first year I cooking Thanksgiving dinner... I would have been 28.





It's a few (cough, cough) years later and I still love Thanksgiving...

Here are a few pictures from more recent Thanksgivings:

Joe and I with the kids and grandkids, November 2006



Thanksgiving 2007... a full table!



My brother Loren (all grown up!) and his wife, Jessica... 2007



B (dd#2), the baby in the first picture... Thanksgiving 2007.



And again with R... 2007



Our oldest grandchild, (also "R") working on the Thanksgiving tablecloth we use each year. We pass around markers and each person "autographs" the tablecloth or draws a little picture etc. It's been a nice family tradition... it's fun to look over all the old drawings, etc. each year.



A little monopoly is always a nice thing to do after dinner...

Around the table from the left... my brother Loren, his wife Jess, dd#3 K, M (partially hidden) and my sister Jackie.

As you can tell we take our Monopoly seriously!



But first we had to take a few minutes to try to do this weird hand thing my brother Steve does... it's a quick finger snap with the left, then right hand, followed by a right fist into the left palm. You do this really fast and it sounds like running horses or something...

No, it doesn't take much to entertain us!



Blessed by another full table, this is Thanksgiving 2011...Around the table from the left front, (looking over the top of E's head) B (dd#2), Joe, M, me, my brother Loren, his wife Jess, R and a little bit of grandson #2 "J".



Joe and K (dd#3), my "African daughter".... Thanksgiving 2011



Joe and Loren... 2011



Thanksgiving 2011 was a fairly rowdy one apparently...

Here is JG (our son in law) opening (opening?!) some wine or sparkling juice...





And E (dd#1) and I, after dinner, fighting over a poor unwanted turkey wing (not that either of us would eat it, you know...)



It's lovely when there is time for a little music after dinner...

Here is Loren (on mandolin) and me and K on guitar (trying to keep up with Loren's quick fingers!).



So many Thanksgivings, so many blessings, so much to be thankful for...

Last year's "menu"... compliments of S. This years will be very much the same.



The big difference of course will be that K is in Ghana and won't be here for the holiday. It will be strange not to have her here, helping out, contributing to the chaos, and just being close. It will be a happy/sad day...

I'm posting this early so K can see the photos... she'll be in an area with internet access for just Wednesday and Thursday and I wanted to make sure this was up in time for her to see it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone....

And to my loved ones far away (Loren, Steve, Jackie, K)... I love you.

No comments: