Wednesday, November 6, 2013

in which the tiny peg people might finally get a home...

Last Christmas I ran across some photos (probably on Pinterest) of "peg people"... tiny little dolls made from simple wooden pegs.

You know how I love to paint...

And it looked like a challenge... because the ones I thought were especially cute were the super hero peg people, and they had plenty of little details painted on. I found various sized wooden pegs on sale, and E and I traded a few when we each had sizes and shapes that the other one needed... And I mostly just used old craft paint I had laying around the house.

It was cheap fun.





`

I will admit though, I got a little carried away.

By the time I was done I'd made peg people of everyone from Superman and The Hulk, to Wonder Woman. (The tiny stars on her outfit were hard!) I think Spiderman is my favorite... but I do like the deer-in-the-headlights look on Green Lantern's face.

I finished up with 8 tiny super heroes. And I loved them so much I decided to make...



`

... a bunch of ninjas.  In two different colors (better for battles, you know).



`

Yes, I was possessed...truly... because next I used a photo of E's family...



`

to recreate them as peg people... (I changed baby's clothes from the red sweater to a pink dress...poetic license, you know...)



`

And then... I. was. done. I put the paints and leftover pegs away...

I hadn't even thought of painting a peg person in months.

Until a couple of weeks ago that is, when E told me about someone who had made houses for peg people out of dried gourds... As in the gourds we sometimes grow in our pumpkin patch and I dry... and have an overabundance of.



And I couldn't help but wonder how hard it might be to make a little house for some peg people out of a gourd. (And maybe I  should make a new little peg family to live in the little house...)

So I've started carving... and soon I'll start painting again.



I think I need a 12 Step Program.

I'll let you know how the house(s) turn out.

No comments: