Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thrifting Thursday (my cup (plates and bowls) runneth over

Remember back last March when I blogged about my mismatched dinnerware?



I was collecting dishes with similar borders, in different colors. It started with a partial set of plates with green borders that I found at the thrift store, and loved, but it was only a partial set... there wasn't enough plates and bowls for our family. But then a few months later I found some very similar plates with a brown border, so I grabbed them.

I had it in my head that it would be fun to have a mix of plates with different colored (but similar toned) borders, so I kept looking (at thrift stores, of course) and found my favorite pattern of all time last March... when I found the red bordered plates that I blogged about.

These are still my favorites, I love the red against the ivory background...



At that point I had a nice collection of green, brown and red bordered plates... but was still looking for plates with blue borders to round out the "set".

So when I found these blue bordered plates (4 dinner plates, 4 salad plates, 2 bowls) the other day... I knew I had to buy them and that my "collection" was complete.



I even have enough of my mismatched set for big family dinners. (With some left over!)

At the same shop I found the blue bordered plates, I also found this sweet little gravy boat that also kind of matches. We used it on Thanksgiving...



`

Of course I had to hang a plate shelf in the dining room to display a few of my plates...





I love how they look together...



I don't pick a plate from each color when I set the table of course, they just come out of the cabinet as they come... Both kids have favorites, and I'll often see some plate switching (to get their favorite) after the table is set.  (Please ignore the glowing-eyed dog photo bombing the picture... Quin is always underfoot!)

Total investment for the entire "set"?

About $30.  :)

No comments: