Thursday, January 30, 2014

"Where are we supposed to eat?"

This was a question posed to me by my children the other day when they realized what my next project was going to be..

Because the project involved the dining room table becoming unusable.

You see, for a while now, I've coveted my sister's antique oak pedestal table. The one in this picture I stole from her flickr account... (Isn't her new house cute?)



We'd downsized dining room sets a few years ago, when all the older kids were launched and the old table suddenly seemed TOO big for just the four of us. I wanted a nice, antique, round oak table. My sister wouldn't give me hers, so I started looking around and finally found our current dining table at Goodwill... for $30. It's oak, the style is right, but it's not antique.. it dates from the 80's or early 90's and had (notice the past tense) this super shiny, orange-y finish... but it's solid wood, and the price was right, so I bought it.



I really hated that shiny orange-y look... but I lived with it.

Until last Sunday afternoon.

We've been home a lot lately because R had her wisdom teeth out last week and hasn't felt up to much going and doing... (She's doing fine by the way, but it's taken a lot of jello and pudding to get her through!) With the main bathroom done I was looking for a project, but didn't really feel like painting another room. Joe had given me a new mouse sander for Christmas... and I had an almost full bottle of stripper downstairs... and Sunday afternoons tend to be super boring around here and...well you can guess what happened.

I started stripping the dining room table.



It was too cold to do it outside (on my back porch/workshop) so I decided to just refinish it where it was... in the dining room. I use a not too toxic stripper, and I kept the back door open a crack for ventilation and I got to work.

The finish was so thin it was took nothing to strip it off...





The sanding was kind of a bear though...



`

It's a good thing I had this nice new sander!





As you can see from the pictures, I totally trashed my dining room. I ended up rolling up the rug and moving it out, because I was worried not even my nice heavy duty tarp would protect it completely from all the mess. And virtually every surface in the house ended up with a thin layer of dust from the sanding.



`

We've been eating dinner here there and everywhere all week... at the game table, in the family room, (at Famous Dave's...). But the end is in sight!

I'm working on the stain and polyurethane right now and we should have a dining room table again by the weekend! And I'm really happy with how it's turning out.

Good-bye nasty, shiny, orange-y finish... I am thrilled to show you the door!!

(I'll show you the finished project next week. )

No comments: