Tuesday, February 11, 2014

I can see clearly now...

... the
rain2x2-wall-in-my-dining-room is gone.



Yes, the vertical 2x2's that used to make a wall (of sorts) between my dining room and family room are GONE.

Joe insisted he really liked them... but the longer I looked at them, the more I didn't like how they cut up the space between the two rooms.

He had it his way for 9 years... I think it should be my turn now.

And I'm pretty sure he only thought he really liked how it looked because he hadn't seen it any other way. ;)

So I did him a favor and took the 2x2's down...

He handled it well when he got home from work one day to find them gone.

I let him know that I saved each piece of wood and will be happy to put them back up in 9 years... but it's only fair that we take turns.

Here's how it looked before...  six long 2x2's separating the two rooms. (This picture was taken last summer, I forgot... once again... to take any "before" pictures.)



We have several of these 2x2 walls... but this was the only one that was totally nonfunctional. They must have been a thing back in the 1970's when the house was built.

Here are more 2x2's between the family room and living room... (I've got plans for them too, but not right away.)





And more were used next to the stairs from the living room to the family room....



So long strange 2x2 wall...



`





Taking the 2x2's down was a 5 minute job... they were just held in with a couple of nails up top and a few finishing nails at the bottom. Honestly, it took longer to take them all out to the shed and toss them up with the "good" wood, than it did to take them down.

But there was a little more to do before I was ready to call this project finished...

The board they were nailed to on the bottom was pretty rough... Like much of the wood in this house (moldings, etc) it had never been finished... it was just an old piece of 1x6 they'd used as an edge to the step between the two rooms.



So, now that the 2x2's were gone, I decided it deserved some fixing up... I filled the little nails holes left from the 2x2's with a little wood filler, then gave it a good sanding...



Holes filled, sanded smooth it was ready for stain...

I pulled out the Minwax Jacobean stain I use for lots of things around here, and gave it a quick coat.

(I love stain, such a big improvement with such a small amount of effort!)

Before and after...



`



`

Next came a couple of coats of polyurethane...



I love how it all turned out.... the openness between the two rooms, without the visual distraction of those boards cutting up the space.

`

It was a quick and easy project, but a lot of fun....



And Joe forgave me for taking the boards down... but, in the interests of protecting my marriage, I think I'll wait a few years before I start tearing out the rest of our 2x2 "walls".

No comments: