Tuesday, February 4, 2014

"Where are we supposed to eat?" Part 2

I wrote last week about impulsively deciding to strip my dining room table... I couldn't take the shiny orange-y finish one more minute so, without giving myself time to change my mind (to think of all the reasons it probably wasn't a good idea to refinish the dining room table right there in the dining room!), I pulled out the stripper and got to work.

Last Thursday my dining room looked like this:



Rug rolled up and gone, tools and sawdust everywhere, and our dining room table... a half sanded work in progress.

I'm happy to say that by the weekend, the dining room looked like this again:



Back to normal...

In between those two photos, there was a lot of staining and polyurethane-ing going on.

I decided to mix my stain color from stains I already had here, rather than buy more. So I mixed just a little Jacobean with Golden Oak (both Minwax stains). I wanted a little darkness to the stain... a little "age" if possible... and definitely didn't want it too "golden". Before staining the whole table I tried the mix, and several other stains, on the underside of the table to make sure it was what I wanted.

Once I was sure about the color, staining was quick and easy and took no time at all. I ended up putting several coats of stain on the top, but only one on the pedestal. Once the table was stripped I'd realized that the wood on the table top was a slightly different color than the base... lighter, and almost pinkish... so I was trying to lose that quality and match the pedestal better.



`

Then it was a thin coat of poly (I used a satin finish), let it dry, rub it smooth with some very fine steel wool, then do it all again.



`



`

The pedestal has two coats of poly (it gets much lighter use than the table top) and the top has four coats (so I can scrub it when necessary).



`

I am very happy with how it turned out. The finish is very similar to what Joe put on the antique chest of drawers he refinished for me years ago (a happy accident), The shiny orange-y finish is no more.



`

After giving the polyurethane a few days to fully dry, the dining room is put back together, the table is usable, and there is not a trace of the sawdust that coated everything.



`

What's next? I'm not sure... I really should paint a room (if I want them all painted by spring) but I've also got some other smaller projects I'd like to work on too...

No comments: