Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Crazy like a fox...

We had a nice little snowstorm yesterday, and in the middle of it R excitedly called me to the window... there was a fox right outside.

We see foxes here from time to time, but this one was especially big and his coloring was just beautiful... and he was especially bold. He crossed the front of the house just 10' or so from where we were watching him out the kitchen window, then crossed the driveway and went out into our little front pasture.



`

From the sunroom windows we watched him circling the big scrub oak bushes, each in turn, sometimes running a little, then heading to the next bush and circling it.



`

For a while I couldn't figure out what he was doing, it was snowing too hard and we were too far away... but then we saw a rabbit moving frantically from around the back of one  of the bushes... and the fox shooting around from the back of the same bush a second later.



`

I got lucky and my camera caught the fox in mid-stride... in mid-air... all four legs off the ground, body stretched out... he was moving.  He wasn't moving quite fast enough though, and the rabbit got away.

The fox stopped and stood for a moment watching the rabbit disappear into the falling snow...



`

... before he finally gave up and headed for greener (hare-ier?) pastures.



`

He's here crossing the road just to the left of the tree. I wish the photos were better... but it was really snowing hard and I had to take them through the window... I knew the second I opened the front door he would have been gone.

No comments: