Friday, April 18, 2014

~garden notes~

At our elevation (about 6,300') it's a little early to do much gardening... we still have at least a little more snow to look forward to and the possibility of freezing temperatures. Since we've lived here we've seen snow every month except July and August... 

The average date of the last freeze for this area is about May 20th... so I don't set my tomatoes out, or plant my other warm weather seeds, before then. 

But there is still plenty I can be doing... 

We're moving ahead with the plans for the new pumpkin patch fence, and have the area all laid out and staked... Unfortunately we've had to postpone having the post holes drilled twice because of the weather. Now it looks like they will be drilled Monday and we can start setting the posts. I'm so excited to get that project moving!

I did enlarge the pumpkin patch a little, leaving enough room between the new fence and the pasture fence to drive our little lawn tractor through, but no more... so if we have to drive a car or truck around to the back of the property, we'll have to go through the pasture now. 


I enlarged it because, by the end of the summer, the pumpkins always take up that much space anyway. I usually end up patching together some combination of cattle panels and field fencing to temporarily fence off (from the deer) the pumpkin "overflow". With the garden itself being larger the pumpkins should have enough room now. I also squared it up with the little bit of fencing the runs along the front of the house, which should look a lot better... 

(the string line in this picture doesn't look straight... once we put in the stakes it wasn't needed, and it's been loosened by all the wet and snow the past couple of weeks)


Making way for the pumpkin patch fence, meant moving the iris' Joe's mom gave me a few years ago, and a peony bush that grew in what had been the outside border of the pumpkin patch, but would now be in the patch or under the fence...

I separated the iris' and moved them under the maple tree out front (still plenty of south sun)... and around the little bird feeder.



You can see the first of the sweet williams coming up too...



(Yes, I've got old sprinklers and things stored under those steps... I guess I should have moved them before I took the picture!)



The peony I moved around back into the "remembrance garden" with the other peonys...



I've been working in the kitchen garden too... 

I spread a good layer of alpaca manure on the entire garden and got it turned into the soil which was a big, stinky job! (I'm glad it's over...) The rhubarb is growing, and huge... but still a little droopy from our last snow storm.




 The chives are growing like weeds...



 ...the strawberries (in the big trough planters) are looking good...



 ...and the mint is up. (I use mint like ground cover... letting it grow around the flagstones in the remembrance garden and cutting it with the lawnmower each time I mow. I let it grow long around the edges for tea, etc.)




I've got the carrots, lettuce and some butterfly flower seeds planted, although most of the garden is still "resting"...



And finally... I've planted pansies in the trough/planter out front, and in the back window boxes. I'll fill in the window boxes with more flowers later, it's just too early in the year for anything but pansies (but I did have a yearning for a bit of color..).



The pansies in front are "caged" because the deer LOVE them so much... it's either make a cage over them or move into the front yard to keep the deer away!




Anybody else doing any early spring gardening? 

Quick update on M: We saw the orthopedist yesterday (who specializes in hips) and were referred to the UCHSC Spine Clinic... So we really don't know much more than we did last week.

2 comments:

SteveC said...

I haven't started on mine yet and the spuds should have been sowed a few weeks ago. One day I'll have a fit and get it done. Until then, I'll just look at my little walled garden in shame. haha

myfullcup said...

Wasn't Grandma's favorite flower peonies?