Friday, April 25, 2014

just coasting along...

M never learned how to ride a bike growing up... I tried many times to teach him, but his balance is sooooo poor, and he was so afraid of falling, that the least little wobble on the bike triggered anxiety and his refusal to continue trying.

Bike riding would be so wonderful for him though, both physically and mentally (the freedom, the fun of taking a nice bike ride) so I've kept my eyes open for ways he might learn.

I found this video the other day....


...and this method of teaching made total sense to me. We have enough space here, and some nice little  hills, so I decided to try again to teach M to ride.

He isn't learning quite as quickly as the woman in the video, but he's learning. :)

We started on a very small incline in the front yard. He'd start at the top and coast down...



And he did is over and over and over again...









The other day we "graduated" to a longer hill in the little pasture (no soft grass there, but plenty of soft dirt!)  and he's doing great. He's coasting probably 40-50 feet down the hill. Since lack of balance is his issue, he's doing a lot of coasting... I want him to really feel the balance, and he seems to be.

Right now the bike he's using has no pedals (to get in the way while coasting) but we are going to start putting the pedals back on today and see how he does.

If he's able to learn to ride, we'll be getting new bikes (I don't have one and R's is taking a huge beating as M is learning to ride on it) and try out some of the bike trails near us!

2 comments:

Jackie Dickie said...

Oh, good job, Michael! You're a champ!

myfullcup said...

Yay!!!

My bike keeps being passed down to my ever growing girlies.