Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Oh yeah...

This is the forecast I've been waiting for...

 

Last week's snow was beautiful.. and we always appreciate more moisture, but I've been itching to get outside and get started working in the garden.

 For years now I've thought about replacing the fence around the pumpkin patch with something a little nicer. It's been a not-too-pretty, but serviceable, mix of t-posts and field fencing recycled from our old goat pen. It kept the deer out but was a bit of an eyesore.

So last fall I pulled down the old fencing... knowing that would force me to stop thinking about replacing the fence and actually DO it this spring before I could plant.

 My pumpkin patch isn't this big, but I love this fence... and I think the kids and I could build it with minimal help.

 

 I love the pickets at the bottom, which are designed to keep rabbits, etc. out (not a huge goal of mine) but, for me, would serve the purpose of keeping the pumpkins in... since anything that grows outside the pumpkin patch fence is eaten... quickly.. by the deer.

 Here's where we're starting...

 

 The new gate will be in roughly the same place, but will be wider (3'), the landscape timbers will be taken out, but the fence will basically follow the old fence line. It will be 6' high (5' seems to keep the deer out, but if we try to build the fence in the picture (which is 10'!) I think it will look funny if it's too short.

 We look the last of the chain link down over the weekend (it formed the east side of the pumpkin patch fence, and was left over from when the pasture was entirely fenced with chain link).  Hopefully I can freerecycle it...

 (Ignore the alpaca manure pile please... it will be turned into the pumpkin patch soon... although probably not until after we've started the new fence.)

 

 I've got a guy coming next week to drill all the post holes, so I'll need to have it all marked and ready to go by then...

 I can't wait to get to work!

No comments: