Thursday, May 29, 2014

Thrifting Thursday

I recently found a couple of little gems while thrifting that I want to share...

The first is this antique tin box, labeled "Autokit No. 8".



It came into the thrift store M's works at, and I was intrigued by it. It has a tiny little clasp in front to keep it closed, and when you open the lid there is a list of the original contents inside.





I did a little research, trying to find out how old it is and this "Aerokit" is the closest thing I was able to find. The aerokit being a little first aid kit for planes, the autokit for cars.



This aerokit dates from the 1920's, so I'm guessing my Autokit No. 8 is about the same age...

Imagine, it might have ridden around in one of these cars...


... back almost 100 years ago!

Here's another item I found while thrifting and couldn't pass up...



It's a large wooden bowl... I can't tell the age (probably  not that old), and it's a little rough... as in stained, dried out, etc.



Looking at it from the top, it's not uniform... I wonder if it's handmade.



I thought it might make a fun project... sand it down (carefully!), and either oil, or paint and distress it...depending on how it turns out. It's good, solid wood and I love it's lines. I think it will turn out nice either way.



There will be no little sanding projects going on this week however... I bought my new (old) car, and have been busy getting it licensed and legal... and S graduates on Saturday. Her foster mom isn't doing anything for the graduation (don't get me started on that!), so I'm making celebration plans, trying to make it really special for S. So far: dinner out with friends and family, gifts, of course... and flowers. (S's special request)

Busy, busy!

No comments: