Friday, June 20, 2014

If it's June.... (Mud Cake Recipe)

Yesterday was Joe's birthday. In the morning, while I was working in the kitchen, K called.

K is our third daughter and lives in a tiny village in the north of Ghana where she works for the Peace Corps. She remembered it was her dad's birthday, and as we talked I asked her to guess what I was doing...

She said "baking a cake" (Hmm... good guess), so then I asked her what kind of cake?

Without hesitation, from more than 6,000 miles away, she knew the answer... "Mud Cake"

She probably didn't even have to think to answer that question, since I have made mud cake for Joe for his birthday every single year since we got married... I've been making that yearly mud cake since Jimmy Carter was president!!

It started off one of those new wife things... Joe used to tell me how wonderful his mother's food was, and how every year for his birthday she made him a mud cake from his grandmother's recipe... and how there was nothing as good as that mud cake.

So of course I had to get the recipe from his mom and take over the tradition...



I've kept the tradition because mud cake is such an amazingly delicious treat...

It's an old, "from scratch", recipe and it's full of sugar and oil. This is not health food.

But it is rich and sweet and packed with gooey chocolately deliciousness.

And it's a fool proof recipe... it ALWAYS turns out! (It's also a great cake to share with neighbors, bring to a pot luck, etc.)



Want to try it?

Here's the recipe...


Mississippi Mud Cake

2 cups sugar
1 scant cup oil
4 eggs
1 & 1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tsp vanilla
mini-marshmallows

Cream sugar and oil, add eggs. Mix dry ingredients, add to sugar mixture. Stir in vanilla. pour into 9 x 13 pan and bake for 325 for 35-40 minutes. Cover cake with marshmallows and cook for 8 minutes more. Frost warm.

Mud Cake Frosting 

1 stick butter, softened
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk

Mix together sugar and cocoa, add remaining ingredients, mix well.

If you try it, let me know what you think! 


2 comments:

SteveC said...

I missed Joe's birthday! Tell that wooly mammoth that I'll try and call in the next few days to wish him a happy birthday!

The mud cake sounds brilliant!

Leigh said...

A belated Happy Birthday to Joe! I confess I don't usually care for marshmallows, but this looks yummy! And some special days require special treats, no matter their health food status, LOL