Friday, July 18, 2014

one man's trash...

I worked out a nice trade the other day with our neighbor Mr G. I wrote a little about him, and his wonderful time capsule of a barn here...

It started when I bought him a rolling trash can, thinking it would help make it possible for him to get his trash down to the road on trash day and would keep the critters out of the trash.  I dropped the can off at his house, and he showed me where he wanted it... out in a shed by the barn.  I had to move an old galvanized trough to fit the trash can into the shed, and as I moved it Mr G talked about how it should be set out with the trash, it had holes in the bottom that couldn't be patched, so it would no longer hold water. I asked him to please not throw it away... that I would take it. The look on his face when I offered to take it made me smile, but he didn't question me too much, he just said (in his formal, very accented, old world way), "But it's no good for anything, it has holes."

When I drove down his driveway 10 minutes later the back of my Previa was stuffed with a large (holey) galvanized trough, and Mr G had learned a little about my gardening peculiarities and what a nice planter you can make from an old galvanized trough.

At first I wasn't sure where I was going to put my new planter... If you remember I already have two large troughs in the backyard garden area that hold strawberries.



And a small trough in the front yard for flowers (usually pansies...)



I finally decided this one would go on the west side of the house, next to the chimney. I have kind of a large, mulched area there and the ground is fairly level, I think it would be a great place for a planter full of flowers...




I still need to level it and fill it with stones in the bottom and soil on top, and then plant of course. (Which is the fun part!)



I'll post an after picture once it's finished...

No comments: