Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Postcrossing update

Back last fall, we went to a co-op class through our homeschool group that was all about Postcrossing.

Postcrossing is an online project that lets you: "send a postcard and receive a postcard back from a random person in the world!". Which means each time I send a postcard to a postcrossing member, I will receive a postcard back from another postcrossing member. (You can read more about how it works here.)


When I went on Postcrossing the other day to register a postcard I'd received, I realized we'd hit a milestone... we've sent and received 50 postcards!

I do love facts and figures... so you can imagine the fun I had checking out our "stats"...

We joined postcrossing 266 days ago, so it took just about 9 months to hit the 50 postcard milestone... Since the more cards you send, the more you can have traveling at one time, we should hit our next big milestone of 100 cards in about half that time.

Since we began postcrossing the cards we've sent have traveled 232,569 miles (or 374, 284 km). 

We've received cards from 24 different countries (including the U.S.). We've received the most cards from Russia and Germany (7 from each) and have gotten cards from as far away as Malaysia (9,358 miles) and as close as Sioux Falls, South Dakota (635 miles). 
Postcrossing started as a school activity, but the kids quickly got tired of writing and addressing the cards, so I sent them out now.  We all enjoy receiving them though, and our postcards live in a big dough bowl on the dining room table where we can look through and enjoy them often...

Here are some favorites...

I love these cards with donkeys... (the card on the left is from Germany, the one on the right is from Lithuania)



The kids like this one from Barcelona.. it reminds them of Harry Potter.



Our cards from Germany:



And our Russian cards:



Isn't this one from Czechoslovakia pretty? I like it's unique shape too...



And our map cards... Joe likes these a lot...



We love getting mail and this has been such a fun activity... often we get out the globe or go online to learn about where the cards are from... it's truly been something that all of us have enjoyed.



Has anybody else out there discovered postcrossing? Leave a comment and let me know! With 478,000 postcrossing members worldwide, I'm sure at least a few have found their way to my little blog... 

2 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

C has let up on doing hers for a bit. I reminded her to do it this summer while she has more time, but as of yet she hasn't. I even bought her some cards when I took my trip to Montana. Maybe she'll do some after her trip to Texas?

We should do a post like this one as she has received some really cool cards...although we are very confused by the one that is an ad.

Lynn said...

What a cool idea!!!!