Thursday, July 17, 2014

time4learning... a review


I signed M and R up for time4learning a few months ago. I went back and forth about it before doing it... wondering if it would be too childish for them, if they would use it, and especially... if they would learn from it.

My thought was to use this online program as enrichment for them... screen time that is more worthwhile than playing another game on the wii. M and I spent an afternoon looking at sample lessons, and although I worried the graphics were too young for him. (Time4learning has high school material too, which has more more grownup graphics, but because of M's developmental delays the material is too challenging.) Anyway... I shouldn't have worried, M was fine with both the graphics and material. I signed both kids up, getting a discount on R's membership, and M couldn't wait to really get into the lessons.

That was a couple of months ago, we used it a lot at first but I have to say we didn't use it much while S was here... Next week, though, as we get back into a schedule that includes academics again (not just running around to doctor's appointments!) it will be part of M's day. He especially loves the science, and will work through several lessons at a sitting... periodically calling out "Mom, did you know ________?" and sharing whatever new fact he'd gotten from the lesson. It's been a good fit for M.

It's probably not been as good a fit for R... she has her delays and learning disabilities too, but for some reason she hasn't gotten into it the way M did. It wasn't a bad fit for her, she just hasn't enjoyed it the way M has...

So... I'm looking forward to getting back to our academics next week and getting M, at least, back to time4learning. My kids are older, and we're using the program in a non-traditional way, but I've found that there is enough flexibility in the program that it works for us. It's worked great as an enrichment program, it's been great for reviewing material they've learned in the past, filling in gaps in their learning, and just having some worthwhile fun on the computer.

As a member of Time4Learning, I have been given the opportunity to review their program and share my experiences. While I was compensated, this review was not written or edited by Time4Learning and my opinion is entirely my own. For more information, check out their standards-based curriculum or learn how to write your owncurriculum review.

1 comment:

Jackie P said...

It's always exciting to have our kids tell us some neat fact they just learned isn't it?

My daughter has CAPD and dyslexia. Because she is a right-brained learner, the program worked well for us. She is enrolled in the high school program now. She has grown up a good bit and thoroughly enjoys the more grown-up feel, but I distinctly remember the days of hearing her giggle as she worked on her lessons.

Best wishes to you this academic year.

Joyfully,
Jackie P.