Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Well, that was easy...

So, I've had this little fix-up I've been wanted to do to the chicken coop pretty much since we moved it down the hill and into the backyard.

You caught a glimpse of the fix up area when I posted about my little porch roof... it's right there on the left... it needed work.



Three sides of the coop "ground floor" are just closed in with chicken wire (which also runs underneath the area) but the fourth side was closed off at some point with a piece of plywood nailed on the inside...

... leaving the outside an unfinished mess of old tangled chicken wire, wire mesh, and dirt.





After puzzling for awhile, trying to think of a good, inexpensive, but attractive way to finish that side I decided to use cedar pickets and side it.

I actually had to buy a few pickets for this...  after thinking we had enough cedar scraps from the pumpkin patch fence to last virtually forever.... when I started pulling out scrap wood, I found I'd already used all the bigger ones up. So it was back to Home Depot... my home away from home.

First I cut a piece of scrap 2x4 and attached it vertically in the middle of the open space, to give more support for the pickets. Then it was super easy to cut the pickets to fit (making sure to cut off the "dog ear" end on each piece in the process) and attach them, starting at the bottom and overlapping each row over the previous row.

Here's the finished product...



So much nicer, don't you think?

I placed the first row of "siding" as low as possible, to block off a little of the open area under the coop (which is set up on paving stones to level it) to help with warmth this winter. I will probably also fill that area with mulch as winter gets closer...



Yes, I'm already thinking about winter. It's definitely felt like fall the past couple of days, and while I know we have a bit more summer left I also know winter will be here before I know it!

No comments: