Tuesday, September 30, 2014

puttering...

Hmmm... what to write about?

I'm not working on any big projects, I haven't found any amazing (and dirt cheap) antiques at the thrift store lately, and there are only so many times one can write about the weather. (Enjoy a good monsoon? Colorado is the place to be right now...)

Mostly I've been just puttering... finishing up a few little bits and pieces of past projects.

I finished painting M's little drop down desk (it needed a third coat) and it's working beautifully... he loves it and it gives him a little bit of space just for his laptop.



I also finished the last little bit of painting in the sunroom... When I posted that it was "finally complete" back in March, it was really 99.9% complete. I hadn't been able to paint the side of the molding around the slider then because the shrink-wrap plastic I use to help insulate the door during the winter was in the way.

The plastic came off months ago, but it took until today (almost time to put the plastic back on again!) to paint that little 3/4" space on the side of the molding.

(Yes, I can procrastinate with the best of them....but it's done now... yay!)



As long as I was working in the sunroom, I decided to take a few minutes and hang the last few suncatchers that my grandkids made. I'd already hung most of them on the pumpkin patch fence...



...but I'd held a few back, since I'm not sure how they'll hold up to the weather. I wanted to keep a few to hang inside, in the sunroom, where they would catch the light but wouldn't be blown down, made brittle by the cold, crashed into by deer (yes, it really happened!), or faded to nothing by the sun.



So after spending a bit of time drilling and stringing them on thin copper wire,the chandelier in the sunroom looks like this...



I'm really happy with it. I love how the suncatchers glow with color as the sun shines in through the windows and skylights...



My last little project was in the loft, which is kind of S's area...



It's where she stays when she's visiting... This is her bed, which I love, it's an older log daybed.



The other side of the loft used to hold R's computer, which has since relocated to her room...



It's a tight fit (her bed is just inches from the back of the chair when it's pushed out) but R really likes it there...

Unfortunately, moving the computer left one whole side of the loft completely empty.

So... since S loves to color and draw, I created a little art area in the loft for her. I moved a small table from the mudroom up into the empty corner, and added a couple of chairs so the girls could draw or color or craft together.



The table is small, but is solid oak and fairly heavy.... and moving it up into the loft ended up being an all day job, as I kept trying this and that plan to make it possible for R and I to move it up there by ourselves. Finally, I threw in the towel... R and I just couldn't get it up into the loft... and called daughter E to help. Once she got here it took all of three minutes to move the table (and chairs) up the ladder and into place.  (E is expert at moving awkward things in awkward spaces!) S hasn't seen it yet, but I think she'll like having a little art area up there.



And that's been my week... lots of puttering, nothing major is getting done but it feels good to get some little things crossed off my to-do list.

Next up? Back outside to finish winterizing the chicken coop before the snow flies (again!).

No comments: