Thursday, September 4, 2014

Thrifting Thursday

It's been awhile since I've done a "Thrifting Thursday" post... but that doesn't mean I haven't been finding some treasures at the thrift store.

I thought I'd take a break from talking about chickens and secret projects, and post about some thrift store finds I've brought home over the past few weeks...

How about a pair of antique ladder back chairs for .99 each?



They were marked $12.99 each (which I would have paid) but had yellow tags, and yellow tags were .99 that day. The timing was perfect as a dowel in one of our regular dining room chairs broke and I'm going to have to take the chair apart (and redo the rush seat) to fix it... While it's waiting repair, I have a couple of spares to take it's place!

I'm always drawn to old books and when a whole box of them came into the thrift store where we volunteer each week, I knew I was going to take a couple home.






Aren't the little illustrations charming?



This one is my favorite though...



It's also copyright 1889 and it's in almost perfect condition... I especially love the embossed illustrations on the red leather cover.



These also came into the thrift store while we were working, and are kind of a mystery. There were about 30 prints of antique photos mounted on mat board and covered with some kind of tracing paper. They had obviously been stored a long time... there were cobwebs and debris in the box, and the tracing paper was brittle.



As I lifted each piece of tracing paper and saw the photos I was in love... and asked if I could bring the set home so I could leisurely enjoy the photos before they were sold.

After spending the next week studying the photos there were a few I fell in love with, and just had to buy.

Here are a few of the eight photos I kept:










I think I'm going to make a display with them, matting and framing them very simply, and hanging them in a grid pattern on the wall.

What treasure have you found lately while thrifting? Any crazy deals on chairs... or anything else?


2 comments:

Renee Nefe said...

oh those are wonderful finds! We finally made it over to the thrift store on Sunday. Matt says Hi to us! :D
I really liked the tables they had in there, but didn't say anything. But then hubby asks wouldn't this table look nice in our kitchen? So we bought it! We know it isn't antique, it was probably only a year or two old and probably from AFW. But paying only 1/8th of the original cost for a bit of cleaning and touch up? We couldn't pass that up!
It looks great in my kitchen. And the old kitchen table's chairs are filling my desire to get chairs for all the desks that I've bought that didn't come with chairs.
I need to go back and donate my empty egg cartons to the egg seller and buy some too. :D

SteveC said...

I would definitely bring the photos to a appraiser. They could be worth something if rare or something!
If they are very old or rare, you may even want to scan and print them out as the sun may damage them. Save the originals.