Tuesday, November 4, 2014

If idle hands...

... are the devil's workshop,

the devil is getting nothing done around here these days.

Because my hands have been anything but idle...

Every time I have a few extra minutes I've been working on weaving new rush seats for E's kitchen chairs.

They are the same chairs I found for her at a thrift store almost a year ago, knowing the seats would need to be redone before too long.





Remember back in 2011 when I said weaving rush seats was definitely NOT my new hobby?

Well, I lied... or indulged in a little wishful thinking, because I'm working on rush seat #14 since then.

It's still not fun... it's a lot of work (each chair takes between 4-5 hours) but it's so nice to bring life back to these great old ladder back chairs.

I wrote up a full description of how I do it back in 2011 but, in a nutshell, this is what I've been up to lately...

Stripping off the old rush...



Starting to weave...



Pulling the rush tight...



... and then pulling some more!  (Basically the whole job amounts to weave a little, pull a lot, weave a little, pull a lot...)



Making progress.... it's so cool to watch the seat take shape.



And the finished product (almost... the rush still needs to be treated, either with a traditional shellac/denatured alcohol mixture or with polyurethane).



Hand weaving doesn't turn out as perfect as factory done rush seats... but it's sturdy, and comfy, and not hard or expensive to do.

This chair is the last of E's chairs that needed new seats... next up is a new seat for one of my dining room chairs and then I'm done again...

At least for awhile.

No comments: