Tuesday, December 9, 2014

*~*daybook*~*

simple-woman-daybook-small




FOR TODAY

December 9, 2014

Outside my window... I can see Christmas lights, on my neighbor's barn and on the hills in the distance, twinkling in the early morning darkness.

I am thinking... about my mom this morning. Today is the 11th anniversary of her death, and I wonder if I'll ever stop missing her... 

I am thankful... for this bit of quiet time in the morning before the kids get up.

In the kitchen... I've got a cookie jar full of Cowboy Cookies (M's request after his gastroparesis flare) and I think soup is on the menu for dinner.

I am creating... I actually pulled the sewing machine out (gasp, it's been years!) and have been working on a few little Christmas gifts. 

I am going... to stay home today... I think.... except for a quick trip to Costco later in the day. It's supposed to be beautiful weather, and I'm looking forward to working outside. 

I am reading... the second book of The Christmas Chronicles, How Mrs Claus Saved Christmas. The title sounds childish (and a bit lame) but it's an adult book full of the history of how Christmas has been celebrated throughout the centuries.  

I am hoping... M is settled today. He's been tough lately... holiday stress is having it's effect, in addition to the stress he's already feeling about his (still broken) back. I have this whole month carefully structured, trying to get him (and us) through as easily as possible... but he's edgy, and irritable, not sleeping well, and even had a psychotic episode a week or so ago. So settled would be very nice for today...

I am looking forward to... seeing K (dd#3) who gets home for a visit from Ghana on the 15th. They'll be plenty of happy tears, catching up, and eating out... that poor girl comes home HUNGRY.

I am learning... about focusing on what's truly important, and letting go of situations and relationships that are hurtful and have no resolution.

Around the house... the tree is up, the house is decorated... and there is still a pile of extra pine boughs on the front porch (oops!) that I should get rid of today. ;)

I am pondering... nothing... it's too early in the morning to ponder.

One of my favorite things... the sharp pop of the wood burning in the wood stove, and the lovely heat it puts out... warming up our (formerly) always cold and drafty house

A few plans for the rest of the week... the kids have an RCC service project on Wednesday, Thursday we're going to work at the thrift store and later, see A Christmas Carol at the arts center in town... Friday is a get-together with neighbors and our Christmas Movie Night (It's a Wonderful Life... my favorite!)

A peek into my day...

Our busy month...



...busy but good..




______________________________

Visit Peggy's blog for more about The Simple Woman's Daybook

2 comments:

Loren said...

I have been thinking about Mom this morning too. It is starting to seem like such a long time ago since I last saw her....and I don't like that.

Have a nice (mostly) home day. We have been having lots of rain lately. It is nice to stay home and listen to it fall on the skylights in the house. Or, to walk across campus in the rain.

SteveC said...

It is sad to think shes been gone so long. It sounds odd but sometimes I feel guilty for not calling.

Listening to the rain is lovely. I have a bit of that right now. Gales are ripping through Ireland at the moment. Status orange weather warning and all that. Rain , hail and wind gusts up to 110 to 130 km/h. Lovely to see and hear, but putting the radiators on during the day means its cold. Too cold!