Friday, December 12, 2014

don't hate me....

The following announcement will probably make me instantly unpopular... (not that I was popular to begin with, so what have I got to lose?).

My Christmas shopping and making is done. 

(Well, except for a little baking for treats for the neighbors... but that doesn't count!)

It helped that we decided to simplify our gift giving this year, and I bought a lot online...  but with seven kids (counting S and our SIL) and 4 grandkids, it was still a fair amount of planning, shopping, and crafting.

I finished up the last gift yesterday... and it's so cute I have to share.



It's a little crayon apron for our youngest granddaughter, who is 3. It holds one box of 24 crayons. (Despite the way the color shows in this picture, it's really a very pretty pink... the color is most accurate on the right side of the photo.)

I didn't have a pattern, just her measurements and a photo I found online, so there was a fair amount of stopping to puzzle it out, but I do love how it turned out.

I especially love all the tiny little pockets...



(The math involved in figuring out the spacing for those pockets was tough... it's an absolute miracle they all fit across the apron and are the same size!)

The machine I used?




The old Necchi Joe got me for Christmas back in about 1981, when our oldest was just a baby. It's been a faithful machine ever since, never needing repair (although it needs a bit now...) and sewing everything from diapers and baby clothes, to quilts and step-dancing dresses. What a lovely old workhorse it is...

K (dd#3) will be arriving from Ghana on Monday for a two week visit, and I may not be blogging much during that time.

Have a blessed holiday season...


4 comments:

myfullcup said...

That is adorable!!! She'll love it!!!

I'm trying to plan a way for us to be there to see K, when is she leaving again? It might not be until after Christmas.

Jackie Dickie said...

I don't really hate you, not really. I am somewhat done but not completely done. I'm hoping to get my long distance gifts in the mail Monday or Tuesday.
That apron is super cute! She will love it! Good job!

SteveC said...

I don't hate you either but of course I am shamed now. I haven't started really...

Renee Nefe said...

my shopping is just about done as well. I should try to make something for kiddo...maybe if I finish the read beret she wanted. ???
Love the apron, very cute.
I haven't tried the sewing machine guy that they use for the thrift store, but I do like The Creative Needle over on Broadway (just south of Arapaho). For the price of a tune up he was also able to fix my old machine, the reverse didn't work. Now that I've bought a set of presser feet for it, we are in business.