Tuesday, December 2, 2014

frosty morning...

After Sunday's fog, I woke up yesterday morning to a lovely coating of hoarfrost on everything....



I especially loved how it looked on the netting covering the chicken yard (keeping the hawks out), it made the usually almost invisible tree netting look like a circus tent...



(Here's Lili, stretching her neck out, and Hazel behind, both insisting there is NO WAY they're going out into the cold! Yes, they basically live in the coop these days...)




We stayed home and sewed yesterday... R has been wanting to learn to sew, and M has always liked sewing, so I helped each of them make a new "warmer" for bedtime (a rice filled fabric tube, heated in the microwave right before bed, makes for a toasty place under the covers for cold feet...). It took most of the afternoon to make two warmers, but it was also a lesson in pinning and cutting out a pattern, reading the markings on the pattern, pinning and cutting fabric, using the sewing machine, etc.

Once M and R's projects were finished, as long as the sewing machine was out, I put it to use and made a Christmas gift for one of my "big" kids. It was good to sew again, I haven't sewn much in years. I still think I prefer more active projects though... like those involving lumber and power tools for example. (I have plans for a lovely, big "slow feeder" I want to built Murphy and Tucker... but alas, it will have to wait until spring. ;)



1 comment: