Thursday, February 12, 2015

Thrifting Thursday (vintage tin measures)

I've kind of started a little collection lately...



...of vintage tin measuring cups and spoons.

I've loved old metal kitchen items for a long time, cast iron and tin are my two favorites. I have a wonderful set of vintage cast iron cookware (skillets and a griddle) that I use all the time. And there are my lovely old tin canisters that Joe got me for Christmas last year...




Not long ago, M and I were volunteering at the thrift store, going through donations getting them ready to set out, I found a couple of vintage tin measuring cups and decided they were going home with me. I'm not sure why I liked them so much... they are a little beat up and nothing special in terms of design, but I loved the look and feel of them (that's them in the top picture).



Since those first two, I've started watching for them and have found more, in different sizes but the same style, and snapped them up.



I've also found some vintage tin measuring spoons that followed me home.




Since starting to collect the tin ones, I've gotten rid of most of my plastic measuring cups and spoons. I love the treasure hunt of looking for the vintage ones.

Eventually I'd like to do something like this with them...



... inside my kitchen cabinet.

Cool, yes?  And I think it would be a big help to R too when she cooks....

So, are you collecting anything these days?

1 comment:

Virginia said...

That is a genius idea! I love finding vintage-y things too.