Wednesday, March 25, 2015

It's a little early...

... to do much gardening here (our average date of last frost is about May 21st), but yesterday was just too pretty a day to stay inside, so I decided to clean out the front flower garden.

It was buried under a winter's worth of maple and cottonwood leaves, sticks, pine cones, and bits of bark from the firewood we've been burning all winter... all matted around the base of last year's flower stems (neatly deadheaded by the deer!)

It wasn't a pretty sight...



But in amongst the mess, I could see our lone little crocus... already blooming...



... and the columbines starting to grow.



So I started cleaning it out.

I was surprised to find that some of the echinacea were even showing some brand new tiny leaves...



... their trademark purple-green color easy to see against the mulch.

I even rediscovered a tiny volunteer blue spruce that somehow sprouted here... (If it survives a few more years, I'll transplant it somewhere else, of course... somewhere that actually makes sense to plant a tree that will reach 30' someday!)




I didn't quite finish the big clean out...




I worked until the sun started to go down... taking the warmth with it. I'll finish the last little bit another day.




The last thing I did was to give the whole garden a good spray with deer stopper, to keep the deer from nibbling my tender new plants...



... especially  my hollyhocks that I've been working to grow for two, or is it three, years now? (Yes, that is deer scat under the hollyhock... I can't decide if it was left as an opinion of my gardening skills, or to lend a helping... errr... hand with a little fertilizer.)



It was a lovely way to spend a warm early spring afternoon...

1 comment:

Renee Nefe said...

I need to get some of that deer repellant and some for the cat too...she keeps digging and tossing the mulch out of my garden.