Wednesday, March 11, 2015

mudroom barn door: check!

One of the bigger projects on my late winter to-do list was building and hanging a barn door to close off Joe's "man cave" from the mudroom. When we had the basement finished we didn't envision wanting a door for that area, but that room can get messy... and it's visible from the living room when the basement door is open, and it didn't take long for me to decide we should have thought ahead better and made a normal sized doorway and hung a door.

But we didn't.

So... the next best option was a sliding barn style door. I could close off the room when I wanted, but there was enough room next to the entrance into the room to slide the door completely open and out of the way too.

A couple of weeks ago I showed pictures of the track for the door, hung and ready to go... all that was left was building the door. I was a little apprehensive about that part... I'm not a carpenter, and I really didn't want the door to turn out looking crooked, poorly built or cheap.

I am very happy with the finished product though...



Here's how I put it together...

I used a piece of 4x8 plywood, cut to length (at Home Depot) for the base of the door. Luckily 4' was exactly the right width to span the door opening. I wanted a look of random boards for the face of the door, so I played around with the numbers until I came up with a combination of board widths that would evenly cover the 4x8. It turned out to be 4 - 1x6's, 6 - 1x4's and 2 - 1x3's. I just bought inexpensive. common pine boards for these vertical boards.



They didn't look like much at first...

I started by laying them out on the plywood base and playing around a little with how to arrange the different widths.







Once I had my layout planned, I cut them all to length and hauled them outside...

I didn't take pictures of the next few steps, I was in the groove of playing with the wood and didn't even think about the camera!

I sanded each board, softening the edges, removing any marks from the store, and smoothing any splintered edges, then I distressed them... hitting them with a piece of chain and the hammer, nailing in and pulling out nails, etc. (I'm sure the neighbors thought I'd lost my mind... first sanding then marring the same boards!)

Finally I brought them in the house and started staining. I went over each board first with "Ipswich pine" stain, a color that looks good with the natural color of our log walls, then I got out the "jacobean" stain and added some interest to the boards. I used the darker stain to highlight the grain of the wood, especially around knotholes, etc. in the wood. The dents and holes I'd added as I distressed the wood also added interest as the stain settled in those areas...

The darkness on the board on the left is nothing but stain... I just followed the lines of the grain of the wood to make it look natural.



I kept working with the stain and playing around the the layout of the boards until I felt like there was a good balance of color... then I attached them to the base at the top and bottom. (I attached them from the front, knowing the screws would be covered by the horizontal pieces that would run along the top and bottom of the finished door.)

The next day I attached the horizontal boards on the top and bottom using wood glue and screws through the back. I used cedar pickets, cut to size, for those pieces to tie together the door and the cedar door trim that was already in the mudroom.

Once the horizontal pieces were done R and I hung the door, and I added some handles and a couple of coats of polyurethane.

I painted the back of the door to match the wall color so that from inside the room it looks more like part of the wall then just a big piece of plywood.




Hanging the door finished the mudroom re-do and I'm happy with how it turned out...



The the right of the door is our "overflow" pantry...



... to the left is the boot-taking-off spot...




... with a spot for boots, another to hang dog leashes, and the all-important jar of horse treats on the shelf.

Under the chair is a little crate I built to hold work gloves (which always seemed to be scattered all over the mudroom floor).



We had some wheels in the barn that I put on the crate, but they are a little too big... I found the wheels on the chair (also in the barn... Joe never throws anything away!) and they are a little smaller, so I think I'm going to switch them out.

Across the room are coat and key hooks...




It's a tiny room (roughly 10x10), and works much better now that it's been re-organized...



... and I do love the barn door.


1 comment:

Renee Nefe said...

Looks great! There seems to be a run on sliding barn doors. I've had many other blog friends make them.
No need for any at my house yet...unless we ever finish the basement which is at least 5 years away now.