Monday, July 3, 2006

Oh deer!

Sometimes I wonder who really owns our land... us or the deer.

Yes, we pay the mortgage on it, and it's in our names... but the deer have been here for a lot longer, and I often get the feeling that they see us as "squatters" on their territory.

 Here are some examples... A few weeks ago I bought a gorgeous (potted) gerbena daisy plant for the front of the house. It was just beautiful with tons of yellow/orange/red blossoms. It looked so fresh and inviting on the front porch... But it only lasted two days before the deer ate every bloom...and most of the leaves. (yep, right off my front porch!)

 ~ So lesson learned... deer like to eat gerbena daisies. Hmmm... better not get any more of those. I decided I still wanted a splash of color out front though, and thought just plain geraniums would be perfect. My neighbor has geraniums, so I thought the deer must not like them as much as daisies. My geraniums lasted about a week. Here's how they look after being turned into deer salad... (check here to see what they looked like before being nibbled, that's them in the first picture...

  

 I guess they like geraniums too...

 We put up the swimming pool the other day. Before it was even filled, the deer found it... and helped themselves to a little drink.

 

 And finally... the fawns are big enough now to be following their mama's around, and we found this pair out in our pasture. Mama looks a little put out at our interruption, doesn't she?

 

 But look at the fawn... he/she is hardly stressed at all. I love it when the wild babies are still young enough to not have a lot of fear... Really, I'm not complaining though... I love the deer, don't mind "sharing" with them, and never get tired of watching them (and the geraniums will hopefully grow back before the end of the summer!).

No comments: