Thursday, November 16, 2006

We're still here, but it's been a roller coaster of a couple of weeks... 

My ds was here for a very short, but nice, visit earlier this week. She only stayed a couple of days but it was so nice to have her here. She has spent enough time with us over the years that she just jumps in with the kids, helping when it's needed and not waiting to be asked, and understanding that M needs the kind of help you would normally give a much younger child (cutting his food for example, and holding his hand crossing the street). I was sad she couldn't stay longer but SOMEDAY, when M is stable enough for the drive, we'll head east to visit her. 

I've been missing the road trips the kids and I used to take, visiting her in her big old house (with the sparkling new kitchen... that I've never seen!) and heading over to the Emma Chase on Wednesday nights for burgers. 

It doesn't look like we'll be heading east for a visit any time soon though... M is still very unstable and just getting the hour into Denver to see his pdoc is difficult these days. I spent most of last weekend "talking" (via email) with her about the situation. She's still making suggestions for medication changes that MIGHT help (but it's very unlikely). I've been feeling like enough is enough, we've come as far as we're going to with the meds, let's just accept that and figure out how to live with the situation as it is. She doesn't agree. She has agreed to let me start tapering his mood stabilizer (that may be doing a little, or nothing, or making things worse!). So we'll see if that helps. 

I've agreed to meet with the pdoc in town that does ECT, to get his feedback. M's pdoc is going to set the appointment up. I'd like her to come too, but I'm guessing it's unlikely...

School is getting done most days... This latest rough spell has set M back cognitively, but he's still cooperative and trying which is nice. R is also still plugging away at schoolwork (although she'd really rather be outside!) Our school time is a nice "organizing" part of what often seems to be pretty chaotic days. 

As part of the homeschool Halloween party, they kids paraded in costume through a nursing home nearby. The residents had cards for the kids, and the cards included the name of a resident and their address, so the kids could write to them. M and R wrote right away, sending letters and pictures they drew. We may not hear back from their "penpals" (this nursing home has an alzheimer's unit, so many of the residents aren't likely to write back) but we're going to keep sending cards, letters and pictures. The kids love the idea of sending them, and it's nice to think of sending a little surprise to someone who may not have young kids in their life.

  We've been keeping busy around the house as well. I finished the last little bit of painting on the exterior of the house and barn, and got things cleaned up a little. We were running very low on firewood so we called and had a cord of wood delivered last Saturday. The man who delivered it knew the house immediately. Rather than an address, I could have just told him to go to Ann and Carl's house! (Ann and Carl built the house) 

Well... the sun's coming up so I need to get moving.

No comments: