The week started with me sick. Not just a little sick, but SICK! As in the sickest I've been in years! I ran a fever for days, my whole body (even my hair) ached, and all I wanted to do was sleep. Since I can't just go to bed when I'm sick I did the next best thing and loaded myself up with ibuprofen and watched videos with the kids (dozing off and on) while dh brought fast food home for dinner. After 3-4 days of video watching and fast food I was starting to feel better, and by Thursday I was feeling almost functional again. I was feeling pretty good by then, and the weather was too nice to resist, so the kids and I headed outside to work in the yard...
It's too early to garden, but there were still opportunities for "playing in the dirt"... We hauled the composted manure from the manure pile to the big garden (not as nasty a job as it sounds...) where I'll turn it into the soil later. We raked the areas where Stormy (the horse) had spent most of her time during the blizzards, they were a real mess! We seeded the front yard and raked the back yard... cleaning up a whole winter's worth of dead leaves and dog poo. I also raked up the evergreen needles to use as mulch for a stone path I am planning to put around the back of the house. I haven't started working on the path yet, I still need to find a good price on stone, but I can't wait to get started. (I like to lay stone and the path should cut down on the mud in the house considerably!) Over the weekend we put a new layer of cedar mulch on the front flower beds, and I finally finished the border around the back of the house that I started last year and never got done.
I've been falling into to bed exhausted each night, but it's so nice to see progress on the yard. When we moved in it was nothing but weeds... I haven't much time (or money) to spend on it, but it's looking better. The front yard is grass now with some nice flower beds, and the back yard (while still mostly weeds!) has a nice kitchen garden, a flagstone patio (that I made last year out of salvaged flagstone) and a nice, newly finished border. The stone path is next, and I'd like to plant a few fruit trees later in the spring.
We finished up our "spring break" with the kids cleaning up the woodpile, and then doing some exploring... We found the coolest vole trails in the big pasture, I'll have to take some pictures of them, I've never seen anything like it.
The exciting news of the weekend is that the last of the snow has finally melted! The last little patch, on the north side of the house, melted away on Sunday. This is the first time in almost three months that we don't have snow on the ground!
We have also been happy to see the deer returning... During the blizzards they struggled through the deep snow for awhile, but around mid-January they all disappeared. We worried that they might be gone for good, but the herd is back! They look pretty good and we're looking forward to seeing the new fawns in a couple of months. I'll post some cute deer pics when I get them, but for now all I have is a cute goat picture.
Have a good week!
No comments:
Post a Comment