Wednesday, October 24, 2007

What next?

The pdoc emailed with the first of the results from all the blood work we did the other day...

I'm not a medical person, but I know enough to be worried about some of the results.

 M's blood sugar is borderline high (above normal, but just by a little), his triglycerides are high, and his cholesterol is borderline high. He's already taking omega-3, which should be helping to keep his trigylcerides down... but they are still high. We're still waiting on the results of the insulin level.

The little bit of reading I've done seems to connect all these things into the category of metabolic disorder (or syndrome). This is exactly what I was afraid of happening with the zyprexa (see my last post)...  I didn't realize it might have already started.

So M is having tardive dyskinesia from one class of meds, and metabolic changes from the other class of meds. There are no other classes of meds that treat schizophrenia...

I feel like I'm going to have to choose between TD and diabetes. That it will be impossible to avoid at least one (and possibly both) of them.

It makes me think of something Louise Erdrich wrote... (in addition to being an award winning author she is the ex-wife of Michael Dorris, who wrote "The Broken Cord", basically putting FAS on the map)

 "Some people lightning struck twice. Some people attracted accidents. Fate bunched up and gathered like a blanket. Some people were born on the smooth parts and some got folded into the pucker."

It's definitely feeling like M is folded into the pucker...

No comments: