Tuesday, December 4, 2007

We got school done yesterday for the first time in two weeks, and it felt wonderful to finally be back to "normal"! 

 Both kids "held on" fairly well to what they were working on in math which I was happy to see... R has been working on "building" three digit numbers with base ten blocks, and ordering three digit numbers from least to greatest. It's funny how good she is at it... She can look straight faced at me and insist that 7 -3 = 15, but knows that 437 is four hundreds, three tens and seven ones. I'm going to add money to the exercise now, and have her build the numbers both with base ten blocks and also with ones, dimes, and pennies. 

M is still slogging through long division... He's getting it fairly well, but man those lessons are loooooooong. I'm glad he's finally learning how to divide (I've tried teaching it several times in the past without success) but I really can't wait until we move on to something else! 

 We had a lot of fun with our unit based on Thanksgiving on Thursday (by Mary Pope Osborne), I found a lot of online resources to go with it and the books we used kept the kid's interest the whole time... which isn't always the case, it's easy to "lose" them. So I think I'm going to grab another Magic Tree House book/research guide combination and do it again. 

 Unfortunately we are still doing the schizophrenia two-step over here... Dancing around symptoms and treatment options (and trying not to fall down!). For at least six months I've been telling the pdoc about the issues M has with car drives... he just can't manage drives of more than about 30 minute without getting agitated. And for months the pdoc hasn't seemed concerned... 

Her office is one hour from our home. (That's important for the next part of this story.) 

She asked me to bring the kids up to see her this past weekend, I tried to put her off at first, but then decided I should just do the right thing and go. The drive up there wasn't too bad... M was having a good afternoon, and managed ok in the car. After talking to M, and him mentioning the problems in the car to her, she called me in for a private discussion (I felt like I'd been called into the principal's office) and very seriously told me how concerned she was about these issues and maybe M shouldn't be in the car anymore. (Hmmm... it's kind of a long walk home!) 

I was dumbfounded and a little angry... Why did she ignore these car problems for months, then suddenly become concerned? And how reasonable is it that I can avoid taking M in the car? (rolling my eyes and shaking my head in befuddlement) 

She also wanted him in the hospital (again... yawn) and wants him to see the ECT doc. I quickly said no to both those options, although I did give her permission to talk to Dr G (the only doc in town who does ECT on children). After I left and thought about the reality of ECT, what it is... what it does, I felt a little panicky inside and knew that unless it was a matter of life and death, I could never say yes to it. She's been pushing for it for weeks now though, and I suppose it doesn't hurt to let her talk to him... 

 Today will be another quiet day at home (yippee!) we'll do school, and since the weather is supposed to be beautiful, we'll probably work outside a bit. The goats need their hooves trimmed (R and I call it the "goat rodeo" when I have to trim hooves, LOL, it can get pretty exciting!) and there are still leaves left to be raked up. 

(Or maybe we'll just take our books, find a sunny spot, and read for awhile...)

 **edited to add** Just as I got done posting this, I looked out and caught the last bits of an absolutely beautiful sunrise. The colors had started to fade... but I still thought the stripes across the sky were pretty.

No comments: