Friday, November 7, 2008

This week, history was made in the United States.

Barack Obama was elected as our next president.

You've probably already seen his victory speech, but if you haven't it's here (part 1) and here (part 2). I've already watched it twice... it is an amazing speech. 

The kids and I had been anxiously watching the election... cautiously optimistic that "our guy" would win. 

This was so much more than just another presidential election to us. It's a milestone for our country, one that has deep personal meaning for our family... especially Rhianna. It's also the first election that either of the kids had much understanding of what was going on...

So I wanted to make sure the kids remembered the day he was elected. Both of them struggle with memory problems though, and R especially has huge "holes" in her memory... Things can be there one day, and literally gone the next. So I knew I needed to do something BIG to help them to remember...
What did I come up with?

 All-you-can-eat chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream, and hot chocolate for breakfast. (Keep in mind they have been been on a fairly restricted diet for years... For the most part we eat low carb, low fat protein, minimal dairy, and lots of fruit and veggies. Chocolate chip pancakes have not been on the menu for about 8 years!) The kids loaded them up with syrup, powdered sugar, and whipped cream (sometimes all on the same pancake!)... they were in carb heaven.


Because of the election day unit study we did last month, and the fact that one of their aunts and one of their big sisters were volunteering with the Obama campaign, the kids  followed this election very closely.

R walked around most of Weds. saying "I just can't believe he won"...


LOL, she wasn't happy or anything...

We've been super busy this week. We went to a birthday party on Weds. at Amazing Jakes, and the kids had a blast. Yesterday we spent part of the day at E's (dd#1) house babysitting. (It was extremely easy babysitting... the baby napped while I knitted and M and R played Wii.) Today we work at the library in the morning, and R has another birthday party this afternoon. This one's a sleepover... I hope she has fun and doesn't get too anxious. (This makes 8 birthday parties and one holiday since Oct. 1st... I'm ready to be done with all this celebrating!)

I'll finish up with a couple of pictures from the last birthday party. Here's R and a friend getting ready to do the race cars at Amazing Jakes.


After driving around the track for awhile (and panicking several times, stopping her car in the middle of the track and throwing her arms up over her head as the other cars came zooming up behind her), R decided she's NEVER driving.

M, unfortunately, decided he's really good at it and can't wait to drive....


... it might be time to start hiding the car keys! :)

No comments: