Thursday, March 12, 2009

4:45

My brother Steve left a comment asking what time I get up...

I get up at 4:45, Steve.

Yeah, that probably sounds a bit extreme but there are reasons for it.

So (just 'cause I've got nothing better to do) I thought I'd give you a peek at what my mornings look like:
 The alarm goes off at 4:45 and I turn it off knowing I can steal a few more minutes of sleep before having to get dh up at 5:00. I really like being able to "steal" those minutes... it kind of makes me feel like I'm getting away with something (even though all I'm getting away with is getting up 15 minutes earlier than I need to!)

Dh likes it when I keep him company in the early morning, so instead of going back to bed (which is so very tempting some days) I make his coffee and start his breakfast. Then I sit glassy eyed at the computer, checking email, reading the news, or blogging (which might help explain the unique spelling and use of words you'll sometimes find in my writing), while he stumbles around the kitchen in a half-awake daze. (Neither of us are at our best at 5:00 in the morning...)

After he leaves for work around 5:30, I usually straighten the kitchen and get some laundry started.  Because our laundry area is in the basement, I can't do laundry when M is having a rough day. I just can't leave him alone in the main part of the house for long enough to get anything done. So... since I never know which days are going to be rough ones, I try to get a little laundry done each morning before he gets up... just in case that's all I can get done. I also grab a quick piece of toast for breakfast sometime before bundling up to go out and do the barn work.

 Barn work is another thing that is virtually impossible to get done on M's rough days but, unlike laundry, it can't just wait for another day... so I need to get it done early in the morning.

I usually head out to the barn by 6 - 6:15. I feed the animals, break the ice on the water and refill whichever troughs need it, and clean their stalls and the paddock. If I've bought any grain or other barn supplies, I haul them out to the barn then too. When there is enough time I might do some extra straightening, it's so quiet and peaceful in the early morning barn... I usually stretch that time out as much as I can.

 Sometimes I also walk during this time... just laps around the big pasture (my lame excuse for an exercise program). It really is a lovely time to be outside... and I never get tired of watching the sun rise.
I have to be back in the house by 6:30-6:40 so I can get a quick shower before M gets up (usually at 7). He needs such close supervision that if I don't get my shower while he's asleep, I just don't get it... (and after the barn work I really NEED it!).

Once M is up, my day is more limited... When he's having a hard day, he needs almost constant line of sight supervision and frequent "managing" to get through the day. When he's having a good day, I can do more normal things... like laundry, or working outside, or reading.

So Steve, there's the very long answer to your very short question. I do get up early, but there are reasons for it and I really don't mind too much...

 And before I forget, I should answer the question my sister left in a comment... Yes, an Appendix is a cross between a Quarterhorse and a Thoroughbred.

No comments: