....like when it comes to musical instruments.
The kids and I took K (dd#3) out for lunch today for her birthday. After lunch, just for fun, we walked across the parking lot to a thrift store that recently opened. We weren't really shopping... at least I wasn't... it just seemed like someplace we could extend the conversation we'd started at the restaurant (Mt Fuji... Mmmmm!) while M and R were occupied looking for treasures amidst the strange odds and ends one can find at a thrift store.
I'd told the kids it was time to go, and we were meandering towards the front doors when I saw this...
... it's a little lap harp. It reminded me of a little metal zither I had when I was a kid, so I asked to see it. When they brought it out from the glass display case I was surprised to see that it's a real instrument... not just a toy... and it was priced very low.
And here's my total lack of impulse control... do I need a small lap harp? Umm.. no.
Did I buy it anyway... of course!
It came with tuning instructions and some music (which slides under the strings... very simple, no need to read music).
I found the company that made the harp online and ordered more music for it and a tuning wrench.
I'm hoping R likes it... I've working a bit on teaching her the basics of the piano, but reading music is HARD for someone with her learning disabilities and although she loves making music, she doesn't have a good ear when it comes to the piano. Her pitch is good when she sings, but she can easily play a whole piece on the piano, entirely on the wrong notes (one or two notes off from where she should be), and never realize it.
Once I get it in tune I'll show her how to use the music that come with it and how easy and fun it is to play. I'm hoping she likes it and it's a way she can make music without as many frustrations as playing the piano.
No comments:
Post a Comment