Wednesday, October 13, 2010

the end of the harvest

It's been a chilly week so far... today is supposed to be a little warmer, but yesterday felt a little like winter and we had our first, light, frost Monday night. I knew it was coming so went out Monday and picked what I could from the gardens. A couple cucumbers, a lone tomato, some lettuce and bunches of cilantro and mint were all that was left.


The cilantro and mint I hang to dry and use over the winter.


I also brought in my geraniums and begonias, so they can winter in the sunroom... The begonias look terrible... the deer have just eaten them down almost to nothing. They look so bad I almost just left them outside to freeze, but I decided I'd probably regret that decision when I had to buy new ones in the spring... so I brought them in. A little TLC and they should be blooming again by Christmas.

I love the way geraniums brighten up a window...

I hope the weather forecast is right and today is sunny and warmer... We're off to the stable this afternoon, and that arena can get COLD when there is no sun.

No comments: