Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving snapshots

Thanksgiving was crazy busy and fairly chaotic... but fun.

We hosted Thanksgiving for Joe's parents and any of his siblings that wanted to come, and Pat, a new/old friend of mine,  and her husband. Pat and I went to high school together, but were just acquaintances back then... We ran into each other again a couple of years ago (she also has donkeys and horses), and I found that she lives just a few miles east of us. It's been fun to get to know her again...

So anyway, it wasn't a huge group for dinner, but we did completely fill the dining room.

Here are a few snapshots from the day..

Proof of a die-hard homeschooling family... a quick "science" lesson while getting the turkey ready for the oven. The kids were fascinated by the turkey organs, and had to examine them (before I tossed them out).

Making a big pot of mashed potatoes, while the lead crystal... newly washed... dries on a towel in a protected spot back in the corner.


M napping on the couch before everyone arrives...


... and R on the phone with family who couldn't make it here.  (Can you tell she didn't want her picture taken?)


K (dd#3) looking at all the messages from previous years on our Thanksgiving tablecloth.


This is the last picture before things started getting a little crazy...

I have no pictures of the table nicely set with my mom's china and lead crystal, or lovely pictures of all of us sitting around the table... I was just too busy to even think about grabbing the camera!

After dinner... definitely a crowded kitchen!


... and not an inch of open counter space anywhere in the kitchen.

Grandma and Grandpa seemed to be an oasis of calm in the midst of all the noise and commotion.



Before long everyone headed back home, and the house was quiet (more or less) again.

There were lots of dishes to do...



... and chairs to put away.



... but by then I was pretty much out of energy.  (Unfortunately, M was still hyped up from all the excitement!)



I don't have a single picture of all of us together yesterday, so I'll close with this one of K and I.



Happy Thanksgiving. :)

No comments: