Sunday, June 25, 2006

Good times...

Since it appears as though everyone has been suitably impressed with my ability to ride very small bikes, I suppose it's time to move on...

 I spent the past week putting a surprise birthday party together for dh. I ended up planning it at the last minute because I wasn't sure when he would feel well enough to enjoy a party... As soon as he started looking and acting like he felt pretty good, I sent out the invites and starting buying food.

I just invited dh's family, most of whom live within about 90 minutes of us, and some close friends. Dh's family is very large, so just inviting them meant I'd have 30-35 for dinner... I think all together I invited between 40-50 people to the party, and about 35 were able to come.

 My second oldest daughter came home from school the morning of the party, complaining about a funny noise her car was making and asking dh to take a drive with her and tell her what the noise might be. (The "funny noise" was just a ruse to get him away from the house...)

It was difficult, but she managed to keep him gone long enough for the guests to arrive. They all left their cars at the neighbor's so dh wouldn't realize what was going on (getting home and finding a bunch of cars here...). By the time dd and dh got home everyone was here, and we were waiting in the living room to surprise him.

It turned out to be a great surprise... He had no idea I was planning anything, and was truly surprised to find everyone here.

 We barbecued, then went next door and played with the horses. Finally a bunch of us headed out to the little pasture for some volleyball.



The day was perfect... not too hot, not too cold... and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

 I, for one, am glad it's over though... Planning the party, and making sure dh didn't find out what I was doing was hard. But he did seem to really like his party, so I guess it was all worth it.

 I have to share just one more picture...

This is my grandson, standing in the doorway yesterday...looking impossibly cute.

 

No comments: